Email is old. Technically the first message to be sent electronically was back in 1971, by some guy called Ray Tomlinson, who sent an email to himself. Sure, email has evolved over the years. But at its core, email is a still messaging platform.
The way people use email hasn’t changed since we began using it. We’re using email as a 1:1 communication between ourselves and friends, family, businesses, complete strangers, cats, dogs – everyone. Businesses have tapped into our heavy use and reliance on email by sending us marketing messages through email. And we either react to them or not, by opening, reading, replying or simply deleting. Continue reading “Email behaviour – can it be changed?”
It’s exciting to find out the colleagues are moving onto new pastures. Exciting and sad. After both of those have passed, the dread sets in. The dread of finding someone new to plug the gap in the team.
Throwing the right questions at the candidate in that first interview is key. Especially if the hiring process is more than one interview. Don’t waste anyone’s time and make that first interview count.
I turned to Twitter for help in getting these perfect questions. Perfectly challenging but not too challenging and eye-opening questions to ask of a potential email designer/developer/all-rounder. Continue reading “15+ Interview Questions to test potential #emailgeeks”
From June 29th to July 2nd, MediaPost held its second Europe based Email Insider Summit at the very lovely Epic Sana Hotel in Albufeira, Portugal. And I was lucky enough to be one of the attendees.
While I’ve already talked about my personal experiences at the conference, I wanted to talk a little bit about the immense about of knowledge I picked up from fellow email marketers through the combination of keynote talks, panels and round tables. Not to mention the “down time” at the conference spent just talking to everyone.
- Send more email. Which turned out to be quite a controversial idea with parties on both sides of the notion.
- Do you segment your customers or create relevant emails for them through personalisation? It’s interesting to learn that while both methods can give you relevant emails for your customers, both are different ways of going about getting that relevancy.
- Marketing automation! Automation was a much talked about topic to make the most of email marketers time. And in combination with personalisation, a powerful tool to enable email marketers to send more emails, intelligently which customers will find relevant.
- Make friends with your email vendors. Go out for dinner with them. Nurture that relationship. It’s important to your business, so you have to make it work.
- Turns out email marketing is a lot like dating. You’ve got to keep that relationship between your business and your customer a happy one. Treat your customers how you’d treat your lady. Give her discounts.
- Gamification in email can lead to a more engaged customer base which can give you more conversions. It’s a win-win situation.
- Ensure your ESP provides you with what you need in terms of email deliverability. Talking about DKIM and DMARC here, among other things. Ask your ESP if they are providing you what you need.
- You may have the best email marketers and email designers, but without the right tools you’re not going to get anywhere.
- Everyone’s made their fair share of email marketing mess ups. We’re human!
- Talking of humans, email is a 1:1 communication. Create your email marketing with this in mind.
- Do your homework when shopping for an ESP – make a plan, get your stakeholders together and make a project out of it. Know what you want out of your ESP and be open and honest with all parties involved.
I gained so much knowledge and thoroughly enjoyed myself at the conference. Looking forward to next year’s event, wherever that may be.